Thursday, March 10, 2011

Is it safe to walk the streets of Manila?

Many tourists are concerned about safety in Manila. It is true that Manila has serious issues with poverty and crime. In reality, however, the crime problem is little worst than places like London or New York. Most crime tends to be opportunistic and is therefore usually Filipino upon Filipino. Tourists are very safe here even walking around some of the rougher districts.

It should be added here that some common sense remains your best bet to avoid crime. If you do, for whatever reason, need to go into a rougher part of town then make sure you dress down, don't have any jewellery on display etc. All common sense things you would do to avoid crime in any major city. 

More on this in future posts.

7 comments:

  1. Interesting... I love reading about cultures I'm not familiar with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that's dangerous there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to manila, But I think you have to know which quarters are save

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know. I've always wanted to go, but really was genuinely worried about safety.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't know that. I'd like to visit if I make enough money!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard a bit about it being dangerous there. Still sounds like a nice place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandfather did US government work there once. He brought some cool shit back.

    ReplyDelete